Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lesson Plan

I always find this first stage of choosing a topic the most difficult (other than presenting of course). I am still undecided what direction I would like to take for my final project. I have never done a lesson plan before so I should be grouped with someone who has experience. My general interest is in public libraries. I would like to do a lesson plan aimed at adults or young adults. Listed below are a few ideas I have come up with so far. I am open to ideas if anyone has any.

• I am currently interning at Brooklyn Public Library in their Education and Job information Center (EJIC). Since I have been there, I have had the opportunity of observing some of their outreach programs. One of the programs involves teaching teens how to prepare for a job. It focuses on resume preparation, presenting themselves, and how to use the resources at the library in their job search. PowerPoint is the main method of instruction. I think it would be neat to bring some sort of media into the instruction but I have no idea of how to do it.

• I have also been playing with the idea of a creating a lesson plan on evaluating websites. With how widely used the web is for research, I think it is important we teach people how to evaluate these websites.

• Another idea I had was to teach some sort of oral history. I was thinking the lesson plan could involve teens creating a YouTube video about their lives. Not sure exactly how this would work either, but thought it might be kind of fun.

This is all I got so far.

2 comments:

  1. Oral history would be great! That would be a fun outreach project for a public library's teen program, where you could have teens interview seniors in the community about what the neighborhood had been like when they were teens. Or, if you want to keep the job-oriented focus, you could have them interview seniors about what their first jobs were. (I'm a big oral history fan.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of having teens interview seniors in their community.

    ReplyDelete